Susan’s Cooking School had its beginnings in the kitchen of Polonaise Restaurant, owned and operated by Susan and Dariusz Sady from 1982-2001. We have taught a multitude of cooking classes in many locations in the USA.
Our instructional Youtube cooking video channels, Susan’s Cooking School (https://susanscookingschool.com/index.html) and The Polish Chef have taken on a life of their own. We are so happy to hear from people all over the world that enjoy learning from our videos.
Learn from the native Pole, Chef Dariusz, as he shows you how to make the delicious stuffed cabbage rolls – gołąbki. Enjoy!
Ingredients Double Batch (as in video)
Approximate Yield: 30 cabbage rolls
Fresh cabbage 2 heads
Onion, medium, diced 2
Vegetable oil and/or butter 2-3 tablespoons
Rice, long grain 1 cup
Water ~6 cups
Ground beef (85%) 2 lbs.
Chopped parsley (save some for garnish). 2-4 tablespoons
Paprika 1½ teaspoons
Salt 2 teaspoons
Ground pepper ½ teaspoon
Eggs, large 2
Tomato paste 12 oz.
Boiling water as needed
1. Remove leaves from cabbage as demonstrated in video.
2. Sauté onion in oil/butter until just beginning to brown. Remove to a heat proof mixing bowl.
3. Bring water to a boil in medium pot and add rice. Stir briefly and boil for 10 minutes. Strain through colander and rinse with cold water. Place in bowl with onions along with the remaining ingredients, except for the tomato paste.
4. Roll cabbage rolls as demonstrated in video. Place tightly in a large pot.
5. Add boiling water to almost cover. Add tomato paste on top of rolls (or as in the video, make a sauce out of the hot water and tomato paste before adding it to the pot). Place a heat proof plate on top of the cabbage rolls and then cover the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1.5 – 2 hours or until cabbage is tender and meat is cooked. Or bake in the oven at 350°F if you are using an oven proof pot.
6. For more sauce, mix extra tomato paste with water and heat with cabbage rolls before serving. Garnish with parsley.